Saturday, 28 February 2009

I wrote this in English because I was having a muse + am no good at description.

I was talking to Mr Woods on Tuesday, and he used the phrase, "My usual self is a very unusual self." This rang about a hundred very large bells for me - because I am not normal. While some people's mothers would reassure them that, "You'll soon be back to your normal self," mine would usually (or should that be unusually?) use the phrase, "You'll soon be back to you abnormal self." This really used to bother me. I always wanted to be normal and fit in. Not anymore.

As teenagers we worry so much about being cool and fitting in with everyone. Keeping up appearances should not be more important than feeling comfortable in yourself and having fun. If you have to spend all your time worrying about whether what you're doing is cool enough for people, they're clearly not the people you want to be around. You'll realise that as soon as you've got new friends. I did.

To be honest, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a bit different - there is really no such thing as a totally normal person because we are all different - it's what makes us special! Being a bit strange doesn't mean you can't fit in with people. I always have been, and while I can't claim to have ever been at the centre of my friendship group, equally odd types have.

Fun should be the most important thing in our lives right now. If you can be cool naturally then good for you, because you can have fun that way. But being yourself is so much easier, and once you find those friends who accept you for who you are, having a laugh is so much easier. Honest.

No comments: